■ Extensible architecture with shell extension handlers
xplorer² is tightly integrated with windows shell. There are many 3rd party shell extensions that enrich your desktop experience which work both in windows explorer and xplorer². There are many kinds of plugins available to download:
- shell context menu (IContextMenu) for custom commands on files
- thumbnail generators (IThumbnailProvider) for images
- preview handlers (IPreviewHandler) for rich document preview
- text extraction (IFilter) and desktop search
- column handler (IColumnHandler and IPropertySetStorage) for custom file attributes
- icon overlay (IShellIconOverlay) for file icon status indicators
- property sheet (IShellPropSheetExt) extending file property pages
- infotip (IQueryInfo) for file information as popup text
Below you will find many recommended plugins that extend xplorer². We are not affiliated with any of them but the downloads are mostly free or free for personal use. If you are a programmer you can create your own shell extension to extend xplorer².
If you are on 64 bit windows and using the 64 bit xplorer² please make sure you download the 64 bit extension you are after — if available. Alternatively if a shell extension you want comes only in 32 bit format, you can use it by installing the 32 bit xplorer² on your 64 bit system.
■ Text preview and desktop search
Text filters designed for windows indexing server allow you to preview (draft) and search for text in many document types like MS Office, PDF, WordPerfect, OpenOffice and others. Click on a link to download
■ Native preview handlers
For windows vista or later there are many preview handlers that work for the Native
preview tab in xplorer².
■ Column handlers for file attributes
Add extra information for the detailed view mode according to filetypes, as well as more metadata to search for. NOTE: xplorer² professional can utilize old style column handlers even in windows vista and 7
■ Image thumbnails
See image content instead of a generic file icons in thumbnail view mode.
Note: these are the only extensions that will work with the free lite version.
↓ DOWNLOAD FREE TRIAL